INFORMATION (For U.S.A.)
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of
the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential
installation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used
in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no
guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference
to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to
try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
– Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
– Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
– Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
– Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
Changes or modifications not approved by JVC could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
IMPORTANT FOR LASER PRODUCTS
1. CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT
2. CAUTION: Do not open the top cover. There are no user serviceable parts inside the unit; leave all servicing to qualified
3. CAUTION: (For U.S.A.) Visible and/or invisible class II laser radiation when open. Do not stare into beam.
(For Canada) Visible and/or invisible class 1M laser radiation when open. Do not view directly with optical
4. REPRODUCTION OF LABEL: CAUTION LABEL, PLACED OUTSIDE THE UNIT.
CD RECEIVER: INSTRUCTIONS
© 2006 Victor Company of Japan, Limited
For customer Use:
Enter below the Model No. and Serial No. which
are located on the top or bottom of the cabinet.
Retain this information for future reference.
If you need to operate the unit while driving, be sure to
look ahead carefully or you may be involved in a traffic
Caution on volume setting
Discs produce very little noise compared with other sources.
Lower the volume before playing a disc to avoid damaging
the speakers by the sudden increase of the output level.
To keep discs clean
Wipe in a straight line from center of disc to
edge. Do not use liquid cleaners, thinners, or
To play new discs
Remove any rough areas from the inner and
outer edges of the disc.
How to clean the connectors
Wipe the connectors with
a cotton swab or cloth
moistened with alcohol.
Moisture may condense on the lens inside the unit. Eject
the disc and leave the unit turned on for a few hours until
the moisture evaporates.
Do not use the following discs:
• CD-RWs may require a longer readout time since the
reflectance of CD-RWs is lower than that of regular CDs.
Playing an MP3/WMA disc (for KD-S23)
• This unit can play back MP3/WMA files with the
extension code <.mp3> or <.wma> (regardless of the
• This unit can show the names of albums, artists
(performer), and tag (Version 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3, or 2.4) for
MP3 files and for WMA files.
• This unit can display only one-byte characters. No other
characters can be correctly displayed.
• This unit can play back MP3/WMA files meeting the
– Bit rate: 8 kbps — 320 kbps
– Sampling frequency:
48 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 32 kHz (for MPEG-1)
24 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 16 kHz (for MPEG-2)
– Disc format: ISO 9660 Level 1/ Level 2, Romeo, Joliet,
Windows long file name
• The maximum number of characters for file/folder names
vary among the disc format used (includes 4 extension
characters—<.mp3> or <.wma>).
– ISO 9660 Level 1: up to 12 characters; ISO 9660 Level
2: up to 31 characters; Romeo: up to 128 characters;
Joliet: up to 64 characters; Windows long file name: up
to 128 characters
• This unit can play back files recorded in VBR (variable bit
Files recorded in VBR have a discrepancy in elapsed
time display, and do not show the actual elapsed time.
Especially, after performing the search function, this
difference becomes noticeable.
• This unit can recognize a total of 512 files, of 200 folders,
and of 8 hierarchies.
• This unit cannot play back the following files:
– MP3 files encoded with: MP3i and MP3 PRO format, in
an inappropriate format, layer 1/2.
– WMA files: encoded with lossless, professional, and
voice format; not based upon Windows Media® Audio;
copy-protected with DRM.
– Files which have the data such as WAVE, ATRAC3, etc.
• The search function works but search speed is not
• By pressing SOURCE on the unit, you can also turn on the
power. If the source is ready, playback also starts.
• If you turn off the power while listening to a disc, disc
play will start from where playback has been stopped
previously, next time you turn on the power.
• When no disc is loaded in the unit, you cannot select
“DISC” as the playback source.
• During SSM search...
– All previously stored stations are erased and stations
are stored newly.
– Received stations are preset in No. 1 (lowest
frequency) to No. 6 (highest frequency).
– When SSM is over, the station stored in No. 1 will be
automatically tuned in.
Caution for DualDisc playback
• The Non-DVD side of a “DualDisc” does not comply with
the “Compact Disc Digital Audio” standard. Therefore, the
use of Non-DVD side of a DualDisc on this product may
not be recommended.
• KD-S13: This unit has been designed to reproduce CDs
and CD-Rs (Recordable)/CD-RWs (Rewritable) in audio CD
(CD-DA) formats. KD-S23 can also play back CD Texts and
CD-Rs/CD-RWs in MP3/WMA formats.
Playing a CD-R or CD-RW
• Use only “finalized” CD-Rs or CD-RWs.
• This unit can play back multi-session discs; however,
unclosed sessions will be skipped while playing.
• Some CD-Rs or CD-RWs may not play back on this unit:
– Discs are dirty or scratched.
– Moisture condensation occurs on the lens inside the
– The pickup lens inside the unit is dirty.
– CD-R/CD-RW on which the files are written with
“Packet Write” method.
– There are improper recording conditions (missing data,
etc.) or media conditions (stain, scratch, warp, etc.).
MORE ABOUT THIS UNIT
• Do not raise the volume level too much, as this will block
outside sounds, making driving dangerous.
• Stop the car before performing any complicated
Temperature inside the car...
If you have parked the car for a long time in hot or cold
weather, wait until the temperature in the car becomes
normal before operating the unit.
Sticker residue Stick-on label
How to forcibly eject a disc
• If this does not work, reset
• Be careful not to drop the
disc when it ejects.
Detaching the control panel
Attaching the control panel
How to reset your unit
Reset the unit after installation is complete.
• Your preset adjustments will also be erased.
• KD-S23: If a disc is loaded, it will eject. Be careful not to
drop the disc.
Enter PSM menu.
Select an item.
Deactivate the display
Adjust the hour. Adjust the minute.
Cancel the display
Set the clock
Thank you for purchasing a JVC product.
Please read all instructions carefully before operation, to ensure your complete understanding and to obtain the best
possible performance from the unit.
Installation/connection are explained at the last section of this manual (reverse page, indicated with
Unusual shape Single CD (8 cm disc)
[European Union only]
EN_KD-S23_13[J]f.indd 1EN_KD-S23_13[J]f.indd 1 6/23/06 2:24:34 PM6/23/06 2:24:34 PM